Have fun cooking these simple campfire meals with the whole family.
Cheesy potato packets
TOTAL TIME: 40 minutes
- 500g Desiree potatoes, cut into 3cm thick wedges
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Toss potatoes with spring onions, oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder together in a large bowl.
- Cut four pieces of aluminium foil into large squares.
- Coat one piece with cooking oil spray and add half the potatoes to the middle of the foil and enclose it like a package.
- Place the seam side down on a second piece of foil and enclose again. Repeat with the remaining foil and potato mix.
- Cook the packets over hot coals until potatoes are tender, around 25 minutes.
- Carefully open the packets, sprinkle with cheese and return to the heat until the cheese is melted.
Spicy beef kebabs
TOTAL TIME: 2.5 hours
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp Sriracha sauce
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 500g sirloin steak, cut into chunks
- 1 small capsicum, cut into 16 pieces
- 2cm chunks red onion
- Whisk sugar, water, soy sauce, vinegar, Sriracha and oil together in a bowl.
- Skewer beef, capsicum and onion on eight metal or wooden skewers (this is an easy job for the kids).
- Place the kebabs in a baking dish and cover with the marinade and refrigerate for at least two hours.
- Remove the kebabs from the baking dish and discard excess marinade. Grill the kebabs over a campfire for around 15 minutes and serve.
Campfire banana boat
TOTAL TIME: 10 minutes
- 6 bananas
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- Aluminium foil
- Cut a slit in each banana but not all the way through.
- Stuff with chocolate chips and marshmallows, seal the banana up and cover in aluminium foil.
- Place foil wrapped bananas in a bed of hot coals for around eight minutes, rotating on both sides.
- Remove from the fire (make sure kids are well away from the hot coals) and let cool for a few minutes before serving.