With the change of seasons comes the option of using fresher and healthier ingredients to create these delicious vegetarian-based recipes on the road.
Grilled eggplant and yoghurt sauce
TOTAL TIME: 15 minutes
- 3 medium eggplants
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Yoghurt sauce
- 1 cup plain Greek yoghurt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp tahini
- ¼ tsp salt
- Black pepper
- Coriander, to garnish
- Mix together yoghurt sauce ingredients in a bowl, set aside.
- Cut eggplant in half, lengthways. Brush the eggplant flesh with olive oil and sprinkle it with salt and pepper.
- Heat a skillet over a medium-hot fire or barbecue grill and place the oiled side of the eggplant down on the skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes until it gets deep char lines. Brush the other side with olive oil and salt and pepper and turn over to cook until cooked through but still holding its shape.
- Serve eggplant with a drizzle of yoghurt sauce and a sprinkle of coriander.
TOTAL TIME: 1 hour
- 3 beetroots, scrubbed
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- large handful rocket or lettuce
- 1 avocado, sliced thinly lengthways (optional)
- Coriander, to garnish
- Cut the ends off the beetroot, then using a mandolin or sharp knife, thinly slice into discs.
- Add beetroot slices to a bowl and pour over half the lemon juice, half the olive oil and 1 tsp cider vinegar, then season well. Mix together, cover the bowl with a tea towel and leave to marinate for at least 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Make a dressing by mixing together the remaining lemon juice, olive oil, cider vinegar, honey and Dijon mustard with a good pinch of salt and black pepper.
- Arrange beetroot slices on a platter, slightly overlapping slices of avocado in a spiral pattern, then pile the rocket or lettuce in the middle. Drizzle with the dressing and garnish with coriander to serve.
Choc avocado mousse
TOTAL TIME: 5 minutes
- 2 avocados, very soft and ripe, mashed with a fork
- 4 tbsp raw cacao powder or good quality cocoa powder, unsweetened
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Sprinkle of sea salt
- Good quality dark chocolate, shaved (optional)
- Blend all ingredients in a food processor.
- Freeze in jam jars the night before your camping trip or serve immediately, garnished with chocolate shavings, blueberries and sprinkles if desired.